Simon Marcus Gunning for Alex Pereira Rematch, History
Former GLORY Middleweight champion Simon Marcus is ready to begin his quest for another title, and the Canadian is willing to fight his way back to the top.
“Wilnis, Rob (Canadian contender Robert Thomas), like I said it doesn’t matter, bring them all. Gimme the best they got. I love that. I thrive on that. I want the best in the world. I’m not looking for any passes. I’m coming for Pereira,” Marcus said in an interview with the GLORY Kickboxing YouTube channel.
Marcus lost his championship to Brazil’s Alex Pereira by unanimous decision last year in China. After edging the first round, Marcus hit the deck from a Pereira right hand in the second. Pereira, the better boxer, made Marcus pay for leading with wide body punches, and landed some clean right hands in the fifth and final round to earn a clear win on points.
Marcus blames the loss on the early knockdown and injuries, among other reasons.
“The fight with Pereira was a close one despite all the things I had to go through in that a fight. Getting knocked down, being injured and certain other things,” he said. “That’s okay. This is all leading up to this moment, and I’m looking to solidify myself as the greatest middleweight of all time.”
Marcus, 31, has won the middleweight title twice. The first time was by disqualification over arch rival Artem Levin in a bout mired by controversial officiating. In his second title winning effort, Marcus displayed his toughness when he dug down to win a close decision over hard punching Jason Wilnis. The Toronto fighter is aiming to claim championship gold for a third time, and make kickboxing history.
“To be the first three time champion in Glory would be a history making achievement. It’s only fitting I do that, I accomplish that. I’m sure I will.”
Note: Marcus is the number two ranked middleweight and will face unbeaten Zack Wells at Glory 52 March 31 in Los Angeles. The four man middleweight tournament contender has been cancelled due to an injury to Robert Thomas.